Christmas baking, yummm! One of my favourite edible gifts to give are truffles. They’re so versatile and delicious. I hope you enjoy.
1 cup high quality chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
Making the Ganache
1. Put chocolate in a bowl.
2. Microwave whipping cream until almost boiling.
3. Place the chocolate in a separate bowl. Pour the cream over the chocolate, add the vanilla, and allow to stand for a few minutes then stir until smooth. (This chocolate base is called ganache.)
Making the Truffle
4. Allow to cool, then place in the refrigerator for two hours. Remove and with a teaspoon roll out balls of the ganache. Roll in your hands quickly (as it will melt from the heat of your hands) and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
5. Roll in cocoa powder or chopped nuts and serve, or place back in the refrigerator until needed.
Optional base flavouring
- Peppermint essential oil
- Cinnamon and cardamon (1 cinnamon stick, 2 cardamom pods)
- Almond extract (1 teaspoon)
- Cocoa powder
- Finely chopped walnuts
- Finely chopped almonds
- Finely chopped hazelnuts
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ferrero rocher: Roll a whole roasted hazelnut in the middle of the truffle and roll with chopped hazelnuts
- Mexican chocolate: Mix cocoa powder with ground cinnamon. Roll truffle in the coca cinnamon.