After spending the weekend making candy for gift baskets. We decided to try out a recipe to make brittle. Well… I ended up talking to much, and did not paying enough attention to the sugar changing colour and ended up burning some of the nuts… Oops. But it tasted fantastic! Well I decided to try it again at home the next day and it turned out perfectly. Who knew it was so easy to make brittle?
198g granulated sugar
156g light corn syrup
213g salted nuts of your choice, chopped
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
To begin you will have to prepare everything and measure out all the ingredients ahead of time and within easy reach. You will need to be fast as the sugar cools quickly.
- Spray a wooden spoon with cooking oil.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- Mix together the sugar and corn syrup in a large glass bowl and stir until well combined. The mixture must fill the bowl no more than 1/4 full.
- Microwave the sugar mixture uncovered on high for 5 minutes. It will bubble vigorously.
- Add the chopped nuts and butter. Stir well to combine. Make sure you do this very fast, as the sugar cools very fast and you will not be able to stir.
- Put the bowl back in the microwave on high for 2-4 minutes until the mixture turns a medium-brown caramel colour. At the 2 minute mark, watch carefully for the colour change. If you walk away or don’t pay attention either the sugar or nuts will burn.
- Quickly add in the baking soda and vanilla. Stir to combine. The mixture will bubble furiously due to the baking soda. This is what gives the brittle the airy texture and why you need such a large bowl. The mixture will look a little creamy.
- Working quickly, pour the mixture onto the prepared parchment and spread it as evenly as possibly. The chopped nuts allows you to be able to spread the mixture more evenly.
- The brittle should be set in about 30-60 minutes