Making your own pasta sauce makes lasagne and pasta taste so much better! This is the sauce that I’ve been using to make lasagne, and the left overs I freeze or pressure can to use for a quick meal with spaghetti or ravioli, or what ever I have on hand. The secret to making this sauce so great is the fennel and the turkey chicken pepperoni!
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1 Yves italian veggie ground round
3/4 package turkey chicken pepperoni
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (5.5 ounce) cans tomato paste, garlic
1 (680 ml) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cooking the Sauce
- In a food processor, mince the turkey chicken pepperoni.
- In a pot, saute the garlic and onion until browned in the olive oil.
- Add the celery, peppers, carrots, and stir fry until slightly tender.
- Add the turkey chicken pepperoni and veggie meat until browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 -5 hours, stirring occasionally.
This recipe makes 4-1L bottles. Because there are vegetables and meat in this recipe, you cannot use the water bath method, you must pressure can this for proper storage.
- Fill hot jars, leaving 1 inch head space.
- Follow these proper pressure canning instructions
- Hot pack 250 ml – process for 60 minutes
Hot pack Litres – process for 70 minutes
Adjustments for Pressure Canner
|Altitude in Feet||Weighted Gauge Canner|